ABOUT LEARNING STYLES
1. What are learning and working styles?
The way in which each individual begins to concentrate on, process and remember new and difficult information. This process occurs differently for everyone." Dunn & Dunn
- More than 40 years of prolific on-going research has shown that we all have inherent learning and working style strengths that make up our unique learning and working style profile.
- If we learn and work according to our identified, individual styles then we learn and have success. If we don't then we fail.
2. Who will benefit from knowing their Learning Styles and how to apply them?
- People of all ages and all ability levels.
- High achievers and low achievers.
- People who don’t know how to learn, work or study in the best way for them.
- Students of all ages who want to improve their results.
- People who do not enjoy learning.
- Parents who want to know how their children learn best so that they can create an optimal homework environment.
- Home-schoolers who want to teach each child according to his/her learning style strengths.
- Adult learners who are studying or wanting to increase their productivity at work.
- Managers and Leaders who wish to understand themselves and their employees and colleagues better.
- Teachers who want to understand and cater for their students’ different learning styles in the classroom.
- Businesses who wish to increase employees’ motivation and productivity and enhance teamwork.
3. What is the best time to send children or teenagers for a learning styles programme?
- Right now. The sooner they learn about their learning style strengths and how to apply them, the sooner they can start learning more efficiently, improving their results, enjoying learning more and gaining self-confidence.
4. Is sending children in grades 1, 2 and 3 too early?
During these early years many important conceptual foundations are being laid in important areas such as Reading and Maths. When children don’t learn them according to their individual styles then they soon start to struggle and negative attitudes are formed.
- When you know and understand your children’s inherent learning styles right from the start you will be able to assist them in the way that they learn best. They can then have an update when they get older and develop more strategies that are relevant for the upper grades.
5.What is special about the Dunn and Dunn Learning Styles Model?
- The Dunn and Dunn Learning Styles model is a comprehensive, award-winning, clinically tested, strength-centred and proven approach to learning.
- It is the most researched education model ever, developed over a period of + 40 years and still ongoing.
- More than 850 studies conducted in more than 135 institutions of higher education, along with on-going research in International Learning Style Network Centres around the world has given us a solid research base that informs best practice in learning styles education.
- Learning styles are accurately assessed using age-appropriate, field-tested instruments endorsed by the International Learning Styles Network (ILSN).
6. What makes your Learning Styles Programme different to other generic ‘study skills’ programmes?
In generic study skills programmes the same skills are taught to all the students. Only some of the skills will suit each student.
- Studies done with university and college drop-outs found that “ the how-to-study guidelines that adults provide for all students are wrong for most tactual or kinesthetic and/or global processors who become poor achievers and often drop out”. Dunn & Dunn research.